Sunday 6 March 2016

2016 Mothers' Day UK


Today is Mothers' Day in the United Kingdom.  When my mother was alive, I'd send her two Mothers' Day cards a year.  One was sent in March for Mothers' Day in the UK and another one sent in May, which is the American Mothers' Day.  

Today I was weepy.  It was difficult to put my finger on as to why I was tearful.  Most days when I think of Mom, I smile and am thankful for all the wonderful memories.  But for the first time in over a year, when I thought of my mother, I pined for her.   

It was so strong, I didn't want to go to church.  But, since I was not ill, and had no justifiable reason to stay home, I went.  I was glad that I did, as it really is a safe place to let tears flow down.  And several of my friends know the saddness of having their mothers pass over to heaven before them.  I wanted to comfort and be comforted by them as we remembered the arms that held us as children.  

After church, "Maverick" took me to the pub across the road from the church for lunch.  We ordered from the Mothers' Day Menu, which provided a Sunday Roast Dinner.   I ordered the half chicken and John ordered the roast beef.  When it was served, we cut the meat portions in half and shared.  Pretty romantic, right?!  We were so full from the meal we skipped dessert.  

"Maverick" had ridden his bike to church, whilst I had walked.  So I sent "Maverick" on home to take Maisy out.  I was met on the way home;  Maisy was in her "over-ride" running mode when she saw me.  What a lovely greeting!  

I topped off the afternoon with a nap.  

I know I am loved.  I am pampered and cherished.  And I am exceedingly thankful.

To all my friends who are mothers, "Happy British Mothers' Day."

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,

"Lady Helene."

No comments:

Post a Comment