Monday 11 April 2016

What makes a "Good Friday" Good?



2016-03-27 Good Friday

          True friendship that is cherished and nurtured becomes a precious treasure.  It is marvellous to invest in the lives of people with whom one has similar faith, call to mission and areas of interest.  Since my teens I have been blessed with such friendships. 
          In 1997 I applied to join the staff of YWAM Seamill in Scotland.  http://www.ywamseamill.org/  Even before I arrived, I made the acquaintance of some special people.  “Ellianna Daniel” worked in the office as an administrator.  It was she who received my application for staff and kept me informed of progress.  I would occasionally ring her from Indiana, asking about what to expect and if she wanted me to bring anything for her from the USA.  “Ellianna” was always so helpful, answering my questions about the type of clothing to bring, information about the community, etc. 
          When I arrived in West Kilbride, I was introduced to “Ellianna’s” husband, “Simon ”.  During the two years I worked with them, their family grew by the birth of their first son, “Eli”.  Still single myself, I’d had an aversion to pregnant women and babies.  But I fell in love with that baby.
 “Eli” is now 18 years old and has four siblings:  sister “Callie” age 13 years; brother, “Jamie” age 11 years; sister “Amira”, age 7 years and “Amie” age 18 months.
          This precious family and I have managed to keep in touch by cards, e-mails, phone calls and occasional visits.  On Friday, 25th March, they flew down from Scotland for the weekend.  Cooking for nine people rather than two was a nice change.  Sharing food around the table was accompanied with anecdotes of the past, as well as plans for the future. 
          As for Maisy, well she was delighted to have new friends in the flat.  Every family I know has at least one animal lover.  For the “Daniels” it is “Amira”.  Maisy’s play growling rose and fell as “Amira” played tug-of-war and fetch before dinner and again after. 
          It is quite easy to say that for “Maverick “ and me, we had another evening of Friday night feasting. 
          Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”
         
 

No comments:

Post a Comment