Tuesday 12 April 2016

The Interrupted Night




         Dreaming, I was; the kind of dream that had all the salient and succinct details been clear upon awakening would have made for an intriguing book.   So lost in the dream it felt real, yet I knew it to be illusion, a product of an active mind during sleep.

          Through this state of rest, I heard a short, yet hopeful, whine.  Maybe she was dreaming, and I wouldn’t have to leave the playground of my mind.  A few seconds later the whine repeated, along with an insistent whimper.  The dream screen went black and the resigned sigh escaped me.  

          For a change, “Maverick” was deeply asleep.  He needed it, as his work shift began at 4:30 am; his alarm was set for 2.30 am.  Although I was loath to get out of the warm bed myself, waking “Maverick” was out of the question; he would not be able to fall asleep again.  And even if he did doze off, it would only be about an hour.  

          The covers pushed aside as I sat myself up and dropped my legs over the side of the bed.  I looked up at the clock.  Great!  12:30 am—the middle of a short night.  It was the Sunday morning that the clocks went forward one hour.  So I was already going to lose an hour, but now my sleep and dreams were interrupted by a little furry being who wanted to go out!

          All I can say is, I’m glad she is so adorably cute, because at such moments her "sweet dogginess" alleviates a lot of frustration on my part.  Those big brown eyes looking up at me so earnestly, her tail slowly moving back and forth and my heart is undone.  I remind myself that Maisy has no concept of night and day as I do.  “Middle of the night” means nothing to her.  All she knows is that she is in need of going out to do her business.

          The green rain coat goes on over my pajamas, my socked feet slide into the rainbow striped Wellies and I triple-check I’ve got the keys in my pocket before I attach the lead to Maisy’s collar and we clomp down the stairs.  

          To be fair, the stars were bright in the clear night sky, white wisps of cloud were few; so at least it wasn't blowing a gale, raining in sheets or pelting down sleet.  The crisp air caressed my cheeks as I followed the familiar pavement around the North and South quadrant.  While Maisy didn't immediately squat when she ran out the back door, a couple of minutes later she suddenly stopped beside a hedge situated next to a building and justified waking me up to go outside.  She didn't take long and a minute later I loudly whisper for her to come; I am relieved to be scurrying back inside.

          When we get back into the flat, I am cold.  While I am taking off my coat and removing my boots, I can hear Maisy drinking.   Because the sound of her lapping water is so evident in the night-time silence,  I smile, though I don’t know why. 

         Cold from the unexpected and undesired night-time foray, I climb back into bed.  I checked the time again – 12:45 am.  Not long until the time change.  I long for sleep, but will need to warm up enough to relax completely.  “Maverick” snores softly for a brief moment.  I remind myself that Maisy rarely wakes us up in the middle of the night.  I preoccupy my mind with random prayers.  One last time I check the time – 2.15 am.  The clock has jumped forward.  Maybe it was that involuntary desire to observe the time change that kept me awake those last few moments.  I close my eyes, notice that my feet are once again warm.  I sigh, knowing I will soon sleep and soon dream again.

No comments:

Post a Comment