Tuesday 2 February 2016

The Comfort of the Couch



                “Where are you sleeping tonight?”  Maverick asked several times last week.   Due to a head cold, that turned into a chest cold, I found breathing difficult while lying down.  The pre-existing prop of the couch arm, with a couple of extra pillows, provides the forty-to forty-five degree angle needed to keep sinus passages open.  I was pretty much parked on the couch from Friday, (23rd February) to Sunday, (31st January.).  

                Not only did the elevated sleeping arrangement help me breath, it was also warmer than the bed.  The back of the couch adds more support, while also retaining the heat from blankets or a duvet and pillows.  Snuggling up into the corner, with Maisy stretching out on my lap, I would doze off, letting my body heal.  Leaning into the back of the couch, warm in flannel pyjamas, I couldn’t help but be thankful for all my blessings.  I know I am really tired or ill when the television is on and I still fall asleep.
 
                Nestled in my comfy corner, my mind drifted to the many refugees in camps, suffering in the winter cold and prayed for them.  I thought about the homeless, with no access to warm shelter, wondering about how many of them were ill, and prayed the love of God would be made manifest to them through the work of charities, food kitchens and volunteers who made an effort to connect with them on the streets.  I even thought about the many employed people, who would lose pay if they didn’t go to work, so they struggled into their jobs, enduring the day.  I marvelled at parents, though being physically and mentally drained by aches, pain, fevers, coughs, or other frailties still crawled out of bed to care for small children and families.  It made me realise how very spoiled and blessed I am.  

                “Maverick” cooked, loaded the dishwasher, ran errands and even did laundry while I ate, slept watched television and read.  Daytime television can be tedious, so many repeats.  There are lots of re-runs of American shows from the 1970’s and 1980’s for viewing.  However there were a few good films on.

                One film I watched was entitled “Red Dog”, an Australian film.  Based on actual events and people, the film is both funny and sad.  “Red Dog” is “nobody and everybody’s” dog, until he meets John Grant, an American living a nomadic life.  John rarely stays in any place longer than two years.  But “Red Dog” and a young woman, Nancy Grey, change that.  The story isn’t just about a dog and his owner; it is about community, friendship and how animals often play an integral role in creating the bonds that bless our lives.

                As part of my Christmas Present, “Maverick” bought us a Blue-Ray, DVD player with Wi-Fi internet availability.  Some of the options include BBC I Player and YouTube.  Yippee!  Watching catch-up television without buffering, audio-visual distortion, etc.  So, I caught up on series four of “Father Brown”— a BBC production.  

                Father Brown,” the creation of G. K. Chesterton, is a Roman Catholic Priest with an propensity to solving murders.  The stories are set in 1950’s, in the fictional English village of Kemberly.  Having enjoyed watching the 45 minutes programmes, I aspire to read the books.  

               Now that I’m “up-and-dressed”, I’m glad I had such a comfortable and comforting place to recover.  

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”
               

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I know that couch -- from my visits there. Thanks for giving me a place to sleep then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always welcome to visit. We enjoy visiting with you. Glad you appreciate our comfortable couch.

      Delete
  2. A most thoughtful blog, Dalletta. Quite enjoyed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete