Thursday 4 February 2016

Night Walk and Sausage Casserole



                Being relegated to recovering my health over 10 days has put me behind on my blog schedule.  So, after calculating where I currently stand, it appears I need to write and post something every day this month.  Forewarned is fore-armed, at least on your part. 
                Wednesday morning’s start was about 4.30 am, certainly not typical for me. (Typical for me is about 9.00 am.) I’d already been up once before for my nocturnal visit to the loo—which is typical for me and a lot women.  I’d settled and was drifting off to sleep when Maisy whimpered and I hoped she was having a bad dream.  My fingers stroked her little head and she seemed to settle.  Well, for a couple of minutes.  After 15 minutes of whining and whimpering, I just knew she wanted to go out. 
So at 4:45 am I flung back the warm duvet, shuffled around the bed and into the hall.  I stepped into my rainbow stripped Wellie boots, drew on my full-length rain coat and hooked Maisy up to her lead.  My four-footed fur-baby scampered down the stairs and waited at the back door, the eight-foot lead fully extended, waiting for me to catch up.  I opened the back door and she darted out.  Within a minute she had found a spot where she could relieve her little bladder.  She looked around, sniffing the air and hoping to catch sight of one of the urban foxes that frequent our area.  I called her, and we moved on.  It was only a couple of minutes later that she found a second spot and completed her toilet.  She was quite happy to make her way back home. 
                The thing about late night/early morning “Maisy runs” is that I get to observe the quiet of the night.  A silver crescent moon hung in a jet-black sky, tiny twinkling stars scattered across the velvety expanse.  A deep, cool breath tickled the phlegm in my throat and random thoughts cast about in my mind.  God spoke to Abraham through the images of the stars.  Those pin-points of light were a symbol of the great nation God promised to raise from Abraham.  I was reminded that I am a part of that promise.  The night is dynamic and inspiring.  But I didn’t want to stay out long, as I had work Wednesday and needed my sleep.
                Although I went straight back to bed, it was actually about 5.30 am before I could get to sleep.  Two hours later I begrudgingly crawled out of bed, raising my eyebrows at Maisy as she lay, curled up in her blanket.  Cheeky little critter! 
                Out the kitchen window clouds the colour of pink cotton candy streaked against a turquoise atmosphere, with gold shining from the East.  Smiling despite my tiredness, I felt hopeful.   Another day to experience God’s love—and find a way to share His love with others.
                I was expecting to be really tired after my time in the office, needing a nap once I got home.  I left the office about 2.00 pm, to the sun shining and to feel the sun’s warmth—though it was lukewarm.  I walked home, sharing a smile with the few who were out.  Unlocking the door, I anticipated a wiggling bundle of fur and maybe a few barks.  But NO!  Neither “Maverick” nor Maisy were home!  That also meant that I didn’t need to trundle back down the stairs to walk her…as she was being walked now.
                Since I wasn’t feeling sleepy or overly tired I shoved a load of laundry into the washing machine, since I’d sorted it on Tuesday.  Waiting for my computer to boot up, I picked up a book and sat on the couch, reading.  
                I’d been home about 20 minutes when I heard the seal on the door open; a little being, dressed in brown-and-black tresses, came like a bolt of energy, catapulted onto my lap, ran over my shoulders and yipped with glee.  For a whole minute Maisy ran circles around my head and arms, delirious with joy at my being home.  I don’t know how she would have behaved had I been standing up—he he!  
                Upon his arrival on Sunday evening, “Noddy” ("Maverick’s" son) unpacked some goodies.  Amongst the lot were homemade sausages.  “Noddy” and his family enjoy a semi-farming lifestyle and raise some of their own meat.  He had brought the latest yield of their butchering labour to share with us. 
                “Noddy” informed us that the sausages would be best in a casserole, as they were a little over salted.  The photo shows my version of sausage casserole.  It has two ounces of rice per person, chopped carrots, onions, parsnips, a tin of kidney beans, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a red bell pepper, and black pepper.  First I grilled the sausages for about five minutes per side, then placed it on the rice and vegetables, covering the dish with foil.  I baked it an hour-and-a-half at 350F/180C.  The temperature should have been a bit higher, (about 400/200) and cooked about ten minutes longer.  I had vegetables left over, so when I reheat it, I will add some sausages from the grocery store.  The sausage was nicely favoured, just a hint of spice.  “Maverick” and I always enjoy the treats “Noddy” brings us.  

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”
               

1 comment:

  1. The joys of a dog that loves you - even when it's a display of affection with an ulterior motive. For Maisy, that means one thing and one thing only - food. And of course, a truly home made casserole. :-)

    ReplyDelete