Saturday 6 February 2016

Sewing lines



            I drew a line on the yellow flannel, walked over to the sewing machine and stitched along the line.  My heart sighed with pleasure and the “I was born to do this” feeling coursed through my being. 
            
           Working with my hands, making things for other people, gives me satisfaction.  My personal belief is that every person is born with an aptitude for some sort of skill, and when he/she goes about doing it, he/she thrives.  It builds confidence, especially as understanding and skill levels grow. 
  
          In this photo I took today, it is illustrating how I approached creating a line-design on this project I am working on.  I like quilted blankets and clothing.  The texture that quilting provides is eye-pleasing and the layers make the garment warmer. 
            This pattern is created by drawing ½ square, (or 2/3 or a triangle).  Then dots are marked at regular intervals along both sides (along the vertical and horizontal line).  Then dots are marked at regular intervals along the vertical and horizontal lines.  The top dot on the vertical line is the beginning of the line that is drawn to the first dot on the horizontal line (closest to the corner).  Then another line is drawn from the second dot down on the vertical line to the second dot on the horizontal line, and repeated until a line has been drawn to all the points. 
         
  
 For this project, the dots were marked at one inch apart.  

            The idea is that these four line patterns represent the corners of a pinwheel.  One the first corner I used chalk to drawn all the line.  But following the crossing lines because confusing—especially as the more I sewed, the more chalk rubbed off, making it difficult to see.  And all the lines were the same colour.  I wasn’t sure I was keeping on the same lines. 

            The second corner I drew the vertical and horizontal lines in the “L” shape.  I also marked the once-inch distance along the lines.  But this time I drew only one line, then sewed it.  This was much easier and much neater.  Plus, I used pink and blue chalk in alternation to make it easier to discern which line was correct.  This was much easier. 
            The last two corners I used coloured pencils, as the line from the pencils are finer and less prone to rub off.  I will tie up all the loose threads and nip them before I wash it. I then use a pre-treatment on the lines before I launder the garment.  

             It isn't clear in the photo, but I've sewing along the lines marked with lavender thread.  

            With this done, I will go back to the baby blanket I’m crocheting.  I love the feeling of a completed project.


Serving Jesus, Author of our faith.
“Lady Helene”
           
           

1 comment:

  1. Universities love using those designs in mathematics.

    ReplyDelete