Wednesday 8 June 2011

More about boys...


As mentioned in yesterday’s post, our two oldest grandsons were with us for about 10 days (27th May to 6th June.)  Bellman and Jame-Oh are 13 and 12 respectively.  That their mid-term break fell at the same time as the completion of My-Midnight-Man’s last Open University lessons was a wonderful dove-tailing of events. Both are keen to help in the kitchen—especially Jame-oh.  Every time an adult goes to the kitchen Jame-oh is on his/her coat-tails wanting to help.  On Tuesday, 31st May, M-M-M and I got up to find the table set and the boys waiting to make breakfast.  My-Midnight-Man took over the coaching and they implemented Jame-oh’s menu of boiled eggs and toast.  I must say, having the boys around to help with dishes was indeed a blessing.
                It was about 3:00 pm.  On Saturday 28th May, My-Midnight-Man walked out the door, followed by two, young, energetic, strong boys.  Said “young men” needed a way to expend the rambunctious energy that filled their bodies.  They were all off to the vicarage.  And to what purpose?  To help set up the marquees for the after-church family BBQ which was set for the following day.  Any extra help would be welcome.  I’d brought St. Francis’s church allotment of news sheets—delivering these to Rev. Bruce was also on the docket.   They arrived back about 6:00 pm, and I fixed these hungry creatures spaghetti bolognaise with lamb mince. 
                I was feeling so rough I sent the “male contingent” of the Reed house-hold off to church without me.  Not only did I miss church, I missed the BBQ.  But I slept the day away, letting the medicine do it’s work on the inner-ear infection. 
                Monday was the Bank Holiday, and My-Midnight-Man took Bell-man and Jame-oh to the meeting place for the boundary walk.  I went over to the Red Lion Pub to join them for lunch., then went back home.  The walk finished just as the rain came.  We had the boys shower and change as soon as they got home.  We then had a lovely dinner.
                The rest of the time they boys helped around the flat, or gladly accompanied Grand-dad around the village on various errands.  On the last day, Bell-man was ebullient in his praise of the wonderful time he’d had with us.  All credit is due to My-Midnight-Man for his enthusiastic attention to Bell-man’s interest in mathematics.  There was the right balance of sending them to the park to discharge the built-up energy that children possess and worthwhile projects to be useful.  And credit to the boys, in that there was only the regular teasing and sibling pestering between them in their time here.  They were open, curious, and teach-able; asked a lot of spiritually directed questions that kept us alert and vigilant.  We are always glad to have them. 
                My-Midnight-Man and I are also looking forward to having more of the other grandchildren come to us as they get older.  We will probably have Bell-man and Jame-oh during August.  We are hoping that Tinkie will come for a week as well. 
                We are certainly blessed of the Lord.
Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him.”  Psalm 127:3
“Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.” Proverbs 17:6
Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,  “Lady Helene”

2 comments:

  1. Good on ya mate. Enjoyed the rambling and as usual felt I was right there with ya. Miss ya, the best hosts ever, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that's really lovely for you all to have such a fun visit, but sorry you aren't up to much with your health xo Love from Carrie-Anne

    ReplyDelete