Tuesday 16 October 2012

Today's project

     My youngest Step-daughter, "Floss" is getting married in two-and-a-half weeks.  The good news is that I already have my dress.  It arrived last week. 
     I'm looking forward to the wedding because all of the children and grandchildren will be there.  I am praying for a family photo with all members on board!  That's 27--yes--twenty-seven--people to get into a group!  I hope it doesn't prove into being as impossible as herding cats!!

     As part of the preparation, I was asked to shorten a dress for the Mother of the Bride.  (Just to clarify, that is The Maverick's ex-wife.)  Instead of shortening it from the bottom, it had to be taken up off of the shoulders.  Thankfully, the dress has no sleeves. 

     Now, I felt it prudent to keep the secret that I'd never done this kind of sewing job before.  However, I felt it was fairly simple and was willing to give the process a go. 

     Having not done this kind of alteration previously, I did consult a friend who had sewing skills to see what she would suggest.  She gave me some good advice--which I took.

     Having decided that I would do the alteration today, I organised myself and got to work.  Why is it that one side is always easier than the other?  But that seems to be what happens.  So, now the dress is done and I'm pleased with the resutl.

Measuring and cutting the dress at the shoulders

Sewn seam on dress, getting ready for pressing.

One shoulder lining pinned, and basting in process.

The dress finished.

     

2 comments:

  1. Quite the skilled seamstress, it would appear. It looks good. Well done, you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a new dress that needs the same thing! Wanna come here to work on it? After your wedding date of course! LOL!Love from LALALand! Carol

    ReplyDelete