Monday, 5 September 2011

August High-lights

        Autumn is evident in the air today, chilly, breezy, yet sunny.  We might have a few showers this afternoon—as the United Kingdom often gets remnants of the storms that blow across from American, thanks to the jet stream.  Autumn is my favourite time of the year, because of the colours, the harvest and the sun that warms, yet doesn’t burn the skin.  Deep, satisfying sigh. 
        Since my last blog, there has been turning of colours.  For instance, My Midnight Man’s eyes are healing well—the bruises are now turning that greenish colour that happens as the days pass.  Four times a day, I clean his eyes with sterile cotton wool pads and cooled boiled water.  After the cleaning, I administer liquid antibiotics into each eye.  On the table two boxes sit—one marked “R” and one marked “L”.  I have everything organised so that I can open the correct bottle for the correct eye.  So “R” sits on the left and “L” sits on the right.  That is backward to me, but in the right order for Midnight Man. 
        One thing that My Midnight Man struggles with is fighting the impulse to rub his eyes.  It is inevitable that a person becomes aware of the inadvertent actions done through out the day when suddenly one is not allowed to do it.  MMM often stops his hands mid-lift as he remembers not to touch his eyes.  In a few weeks, touching them will be okay—but due vigilance is required for now.  My Midnight Man sees the doctor again on Friday, 9th September for a check-up and to remove stitches.  Overall, My Midnight Man is handling the situation well.
        Stepping out onto the balcony yesterday I saw that the tomatoes are increasing in size, and another one seems to be a brownish orange—on its way to ripeness.  One or two days of warmth do make a difference.
        The geranium has bloomed now.  How brilliant and deep the red is.  Once a frost is in the forecast, I will have to cover the plant for the winter.  I’ll set the box onto layered newspaper for insulation and use a black bin liner (garbage bag) to cover it.  I have been surprised by how big the plant has become.  I think it has doubled in size! 
        The month of August got by me without much of anything productive happening—no writing, no sewing, no reading.  However, on 3rd August, step-daughter “Chantilly” and her family came for overnight.  We have a three bedroom flat.  Trying to find space for five children, four adults and two dogs was quite a challenge.  Thankfully we have a single fold-up bed, a double size futon mattress we can put on the floor, and a single bed in our guest room.  I did enjoy having them here and made a large casserole for dinner. 
        I layered pre-cooked potatoes, cheese, celery, onions, courgettes (zucchini), and ham in a large baking tray, and then baked it for 45 minutes.  They licked the pan clean!! 
"Mr. Biz" with Alfie
        I really enjoyed having the dogs around, as it gave me an idea as to what it will be like to have my own dogs here one day.  I am hoping that by our tenth wedding anniversary our finances will allow me to get them.  Alfie is a male King Charles spaniel.  Shiloh is a miniature female dachshund.  I had just crawled back into bed after having my medicine when I looked over My Midnight Man to check the time.  Two furry heads were looking at me with hopeful eyes—morning walkies were needed by two eager dogs.  I immediately thought, “This is what I have to look forward to!”  “Mr. Biz” was awakened and he took Alfie and Shiloh out.  They didn’t take long as it was rainy!
        The purpose of the visit was to keep an appointment for our grandson, “Jay” (aged 10) to Wexham hospital.  As a baby, “Jay” was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.  “Chantilly” and the family have been working and praying for a miracle and healing.  We do see God at work through this process.  But “Jay” had outgrown his leg splints that he wears at night to help stretch his muscles.  His appointment was to be fitted for new splints.  After the appointment, they came back for a cuppa and then headed home. 
        On 10th August I went to see the nephrologist (kidney doctor) due to having protein and blood in my urine.  As some of you may know, I have been struggling with fatigue since at least 2008.  Seeing this doctor is the most recent step in trying to find an answer to the problem.  The doctor did a thorough exam and sent me for blood tests, as well as taking a urine sample from me.  I will be seeing her again on 15th September.  I hope the results of the test reveal some sort of answer.  I would certainly appreciate your prayers. 
        My Midnight Man went to Dorset from 22nd August to 29th August to visit with “Chantilly” and her family.  Walks down to the beach, a wonder into the town centre, picking blackberries with the grandchildren all contributed to his being refreshed.  I had not been able to arrange for time off work, so had a week to myself.  Also, I’d been having some “down days”, so I wasn’t sure my energy levels would be sufficient to be away for a week. 
        So now you know the high-lights of August for us.  I’ll keep you posted on the progress of things in September.
Blessings to you all.
Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,  “Lady Helene”

No comments:

Post a Comment