Friday 9 October 2015

Double stitching

Pfaff on the left and Frister+Rossmann on the right


                The past couple of weeks my studio/guest room has had the look of a sewing workshop.  That’s because I’ve had two sewing machines set up, using them in turn to make a dress for one of my granddaughters. 
                One model is a Smart manufactured  by Pfaff.  It is made of plastic and has 27 stitch options, plus button hole maker capabilities.  I got it in 2013 from my friend down the street.  She’d had it for over a year and never had it out of the box.  She decided that she was happy for me to buy if from her. 

               The other model is a Cub Twin-Dial manufactured by Frister+Rossmann.  This model is metal with only a straight and zigzag stitches.   I think it must have been made in the 1980’s based on the illustrations on the instruction manual. 
                Here is how I came by the Frister+Rossmann.  “Juliana”, with whom I attend church, will take used books, knickknacks, collectables and clothing in good condition for her favourite charity.  I had books to donate to her and so we scheduled a pick-up.  The day she came, “Juliana” had made a previous stop.  The woman had given “Juliana” a box of clothes, other bits-and-pieces and a sewing machine.  When she told me what it was, I asked her if the machine worked.  I was told that it did.  I asked her how much she wanted for it, as it was to go to the charity shop.  But she gave it to me—and so I told her I would let her know how I got on. 
                After carrying it upstairs I immediately got it out of the fragile cardboard box.  It had everything—which was very exciting.  I discovered that the bobbin-filler spool did not turn, and that the tension was out, as the bottom stitches were looping.  Even when I adjusted the tension the machine did not sew properly.  But those were the only problems with the machine and so I knew a service would set it all straight.
                I rang Mike Brown, who serviced my 1870’s Singer treadle sewing machine.  He came and collected it, bringing it back in ten days.  The repair and service was £51. 
The finished dresss
                I was working on a dress for my granddaughter “Tigger”, using orange thread for the bodice and black for the sleeves and skirt.  It was great fun to sit down and sew without having to change the thread on the machine every time. 
                My next project to sew is a wall-hanging for the Christmas Fayre in November.  I’ve found my design for this appliqué project, but have not picked out the colour and fabrics yet. 
                Tomorrow is a writing day—working on the Missions Prayer Magazine I do for our parish.  But I’ll be pondering over my next sewing project in the back of my mind. 

Serving Jesus, Author of our faith
“Lady Helene”

1 comment:

  1. Oh lovely story, Daletta! I had a Frister+Rossman in the 1980s! I had it from my friend Sandy when she went back to Canada (the family was here for a few years studying). She is a real sewing lady: I am not nearly as skilled though I used the FR sewing machine quite a bit when the kids were small. I made a quilt for our older son, one for our younger son, and several outfits for our daughter including leggings in stretch fabric. Then the machine went to live in the attic. A few years ago, I loaned it to our younger son's girlfriend, and she's good at craft and she used it - sadly, they broke up - I think it is still in his flat as it was kind of heartbreaking for me to bring it back to our house. The dress you made is lovely, is it for a special occasion?

    ReplyDelete