Wednesday 20 May 2015

Starting a Journey



I want to draw near to God;  spending time focusing on Him, reading the Bible and studying it provides the opportunities of knowing God.  Another way I renew my mind and guard my heart is by listening  to Christian music.  I have four favourite on-line resources to listen to:  United Christian Broadcasters (UCB), All Worship, Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN), and Premier Christian Radio.  I’ve listed them in order of my favourite first to last.  I like each one for different reasons.   
All Worship: Allworship.com
Christian Broadcasting Network: CBN Radio stations 
Premier Christian Radio:  Premier Christian Communications 
 
To have them as options to listen to thirty years ago would not have been possible, because I listen to them over the internet.  In the early and mid 1970’s it was only on Sunday mornings that I could hear a two-hour radio show with contemporary Christian music.  I’d use a small tape recorder sitting next to the radio to record the programme in order to listen to it during the week.  All other Christian Radio stations played preaching and teaching programmes.  It was in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s that a local radio station tried using a music station format to play only Christian music.  Today there are many local radio stations that provide access to Christian music. 
In the 1990’s ministries began using the internet to share the gospel around the world.  One of those ministries is Joyce Meyers.  Her programme is now televised on TBN Europe.  Last week I became aware of Joyce Meyer’s 3030 Challenge—studying the Word for 30 minutes a day over 30 days.  I had been lacking self-disciple and focus when it came to Bible Reading and Bible study.  I signed up for the challenge, began getting the e-mails on Friday, 15th May.  But it is a battle to avoid the distractions—like television, playing on-line games or desk-top solitaire.  And of course, there are interruptions—phone calls, taking Maisy out, eating lunch. 
I am determined to persevere.  On Monday, 18th May I made some quality decisions about what I want to study from the Word.  Studying is different from just reading the Bible.  To study is to read the verse several times, look up words in a regular dictionary as well as in a Bible concordance.  I’ve done this in years past.  I am always inspired, encouraged and surprised by what I learn.
I know about obedience.  But I am not good at obedience—the kind of immediate obedience that shows the Lord that I am serious about making Him known to others.  So, I want to understand what it really means to obey, and then get better at being obedient. 
                Biblegateway.com* provides a search function for key words or scriptures.  Using the New King James Version options, I found that “obey” is listed 157 times in the Bible.  (Other versions have different numbers of listings.  For example, New International Version has 207.)  I took the time to write the list down in a stenographer’s notebook, so I could easily look them up in my Amplified Bible. 
                I read a few of the verses as I looked at the list and observed two things very clearly:  consequences for not obeying and consequences for obeying. 
                In the year 2000 I began a study of the words “obey” and “obedience”.  I wanted to study these words in relationship to the fear of the Lord.  Because I need more fear of the Lord.  Following are some points that I made back then.
  • Obedience is an act of love.
  • Obedience is an act of worship.
  • Obedience positions me for blessing.
  • Obedience breaks the yokes of bondage
  • Obedience brings anointing
  • Obedience brings joy and joy becomes our strength.
Yesterday morning, (19th May), as I was out walking Maisy, I was thinking about Joshua.  He was anointed and appointed to lead the Israelites into the Promised Land.  Because other tribes were living in Canaan, the Israelites had to fight to take possession of it.  Obedience had taken them into the position to battle. 
The first verse I looked up on the list was Genesis 22:18:  “In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”
At first glance I thought about Isaac, because he was the son that God promised Abram.  Isaac was the promise, the seed.  In Romans it is written that Isaac was the seed of Abraham, and that it was Abraham’s faith that was counted as righteousness.  In Galatians 3 Paul writes “And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.”
My heart pondered the question:  “What is MY seed that will bless the nations?”  I had no children, gave birth to no child.  “What application does Genesis 22:18 have to me, to my life?”
In my heart came an answer:  “Your ‘seed’ is the gift of your talent.  A promise that God gave you is your ‘seed’.  Ideas that you invest your time in is your ‘seed’. 
I began to understand that the ‘seed’ that God planted in my life is the talent that leads to ideas that will pre-occupy my mind, my imagination, to the point I long to and purpose to obey God’s call on my life.
So, I have begun a journey of study.  In the coming days I will share what I learn here on my blog.  Maybe it will help someone else.  Mostly, I want to strengthen my self-disciple in regards to obeying those nudges, following those ideas that my Loving Heavenly Father places in my mind and heart.
Serving Jesus, Author of our faith,
“Lady Helene”

*Bible Gateway : https://www.biblegateway.com/

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting. I hope you persist and are blessed, and will be interested to read about it ... yes, study is difficult to persist with, I so agree, life gets in the way all the time doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete